Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Many Thanks.

It's a rainy, quiet, cozy afternoon here in Boston. Workplace has shut its doors a few hours earlier than usual, in an attempt to give employees a "jump start on their holiday travel." I've still got some time to kill at the office myself, as I'm catching a late afternoon train down to Philadelphia. This year I'll spend Thanksgiving with my father and several members of his side of the family, Grandma included. There will be good food eaten, football that I don't pay attention to on television all weekend, probably a lumpy futon or two slept on, and blessedly, thankfully, a train ride versus hours upon hours of sitting in traffic in my Jeep. Holiday travel is not cheap, as you all know, but this year the train ride is worth millions to me and my sanity.

So I'm sitting here, in my quiet office, sipping a cup of tea, tidying up all those sorts of loose ends that I don't normally have time to tidy, and watching the rain fall lightly outside. And I'm counting my blessings.

There have been some Thanksgivings, where I've made gratitude lists. I didn't make one this November, but not because I'm any less grateful for the good fortune that's come my way between last November and this one. In fact, I have been feeling beyond blessed, lucky, happy, and so very fortunate this year - in so many different ways.

I have a good job. One that I like, one that challenges me, one that I'm constantly able to mold and shape as it develops, one that I don't think is going anywhere just yet. Job security = grateful.


I get up each and every morning, healthy. My muscles may ache a bit more after an intense yoga class, I may feel a little foggy until I stand under a stream of hot water in the shower for a few minutes, every once in awhile I might get stuffed up with a head cold or sore throat. For the most part though, I am the picture of good health. A dear friend of mine lost her far too young that this should even be a possibility, 34 year old sister to cancer earlier this spring. I have thought of her often since her passing this May. And I do not take my health, my family's or my friend's health for granted. Because it can change in a heartbeat.

When I think about my friends, I can't help but smile. People love their friends, I get that. But oh man, I got so very lucky with the ones I have. They are just. so. great. Whether they live down the block or hundreds of miles away, they are funny, charming, sincere, smart, thoughtful and kind. There are emails and phone calls and letters and texts sent throughout the days that just leave me feeling nothing but love. I think, since I've had some pretty stellar friends throughout most of my life, it could be easy to fall into the trap of dismissing these friendships as a "given." But I can't, I couldn't. On a regular basis, I feel so very lucky that our paths have crossed and that they value me as much as I do them.

My Mother lives 1,000 miles away from me; my Brother, 3,000; my Father and Grandmother, 300. These are not ideal distances. And yet, this is my family. We are a little unit, united no matter the miles. These are the people in my life that have known me, well, always. (Almost always in my little brother's case.) They are the people I know I could count on for just about anything in this world. They are healthy and supportive and I know that they love me. What a comfort.

I swear, I fall more in love with my apartment and my neighborhood every single day that I live there. My little one bedroom apartment, where my cats and I dwell and that I've decorated and filled with baubles, trinkets, and pieces of my life is my home and I cherish it so.

Earlier this summer, I reconnected with an old friend; one I hadn't seen in almost fifteen years. I imagine our story will unfold here eventually, all in good time. For now, we just privately cherish the good between us. He and I both agree that if we had reunited any earlier, things would most likely not have unfolded quite as well as they are now. We have, for all the years we have known one another, still had our very separate, very unique lives to live. But the timing seems right these days, thus far. Which proves yet again that everything eventually works out the way it is supposed to. Some might say I'm wearing rose colored glasses when I spout off thoughts like that, but I really, truly believe that the universe takes care of us, even if we can't make sense out of any of it ourselves. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

So yes, list not withstanding, I'm feeling absolutely blessed, grateful, and lucky these days, in all aspects and corners of my little life. Oh, it is so nice to be here, little world. Thankful feels like only the beginning.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Such thoughtful reflections and gratitude. You deserve your blessings because you have been a blessing to others, especially me. Love you, baby girl...wishing you every continued happiness and MORE blessings forthcoming.