So, I've been busy! Though I'll do my best to not desert the blog-o-sphere for 19 days again anytime soon...lest I be writing posts next year. Ha. I don't think the plethora of "next year" jokes one can make at the end of December will ever get old to me.
Anywho.
Earlier this month, I bought myself a Christmas tree:
My ever helpful cat, Nolan helped me decorate and we had a little festive corner all light up in my apartment in no time.
Did you know that I was born in Ohio? Fun fact, right? Yep, my parents moved there after they were married, bought a house, and soon enough, their worlds changed forever when I arrived in September of 1979. My Dad's job transferred him to New Jersey when I was about 15 months old, so growing up, whenever I'd ask about the day I was born, or my earliest months of life, I had to rely on my imagination to fill in the visual gaps in the stories my parents told me.
I'd hear about how the morning after I was born, Mom laid wide awake in her hospital bed, looking down on the building entrance thinking: "I'm a Mommy. I'm a Mommy." There were tales of little me crawling up and down the neighbor's black-topped driveway or off the blanket Dad would lay out for me on the lawn while he mowed the grass, never minding the ants or the dirt or my scraped up knees.
For almost 32 years these early years - both of my parents marriage and of my own existence - were a mystery, one I understood only through the pictures and memories my parents shared. Until a few days ago. With this year's business trip to Ohio, I was able to tack on a weekend pleasure visit and my mother met me on a cold Friday night, ready to spend two days taking me on a little something I've been calling: "the life and times of my first fifteen months..."
We visited the first house my parents ever owned and the first place I ever called home. Miraculously, it had not changed a bit on the outside. This thrilled both my Mother and me - Mom, because she felt like she could still pull right up in to the driveway, and me because...well, this is what the very first place I ever lived looked like. In 1979 and in 2011.
From the house, we drove over to the hospital where I was born.
So that, my friends, is in a nutshell what I've been up to as of late. Oh and there was that week of actual work in Ohio. And isn't there some sort of need or reason to buy presents this time of year or something? And send Christmas cards? And attend holiday soirees? And suss out any and all travel plans? And stand in line at the post office for far too long? And bake Christmas cookies? And eat too much rich food? And hit panic mode when you realize you are way behind on that above mentioned shopping list?
But you know the cure-all to the holi-daze stress right? When shopping, adhere to the old one for them, one for me rule. In my case, the one for me just happens to be this pair of shoes I've been coveting since August, a pair that when I initially price checked this summer came in at a cool $160. Guess what this little holiday shopper snagged them for earlier this month? $70. Boom. Math might not have been my strongest subject in high school, but a more than 50% discount? Yes, please.
After all, happiness is yellow shoes:
4 comments:
o.m.g. where did you get those?! mustard is my new black.
You got THE shoes! Amazing.
I love that you traveled back to where you were born--what a pilgrimage!
Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year. :)
The highlight of the Christmas season 2011 was visiting Ohio and sharing the memories of those early years with you. Let's do it again next year! MERRY CHRISTMAS, baby girl.
LOVE THE SHOES! (this is Bowen)
Post a Comment