Thursday, December 22, 2011

2011, By the Books.

As is my tradition, it is once again time to post the annual "what I read this year" book list. Unfortunately, the number of books I read throughout the year is about - gasp! - five or six lower than my annual average. I suppose I should take this as a sign that my whole "this really was the most insanely busy year ever" theory actually holds true. Fortunately, when I did carve out reading time, I stumbled upon some really great reads and thankfully had only a smattering of shabby picks this year. Plus, I have to remind myself that I also made it through an 872 pager, Anna Karenina.

Books I Read in 2011:

1. That Old Cape Magic – Richard Russo
2. Helmet for my Pillow – Robert Leckie
3. Dedication – Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus
4. Miracle in the AndesNando Parrado
5. Run – Ann Patchett
6. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
7. Bossypants – Tina Fey
8. Bright’s Passage – Josh Ritter
9. Let The Great World SpinColum McCann
10. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
11. Vaclav & Lena – Haley Tanner
12. Stiltsville – Susanna Daniel
13. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close – Jonathan Safran Foer
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving
15. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) – Mindy Kaling
16. Who By Fire – Diana Spechler
17. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks Rebecca Skloot

The best book? It's a tough choice from a pile of goodies this year, but Let the Great World Spin both inspired and humbled me, and had me looking at the world from a totally different and new perspective. That book made me fall in love with the art of reading all over again, and made me want to be a better writer.

Runner up goes to A Prayer for Owen Meany, for the closing (not a spoiler, don't worry) words in particular - "I shall keep asking You."

My least favorite? Easily the first book I read this year, That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I really liked Empire Falls so I figured Russo would quickly win me over with this novel. 'Twas not the case. I found the story trite, predictable, and honestly I couldn't wait to finish it just so I could read something better.

2009 and 2010 lists are here if you're interested.

Now. What reads are you going to recommend for me in 2012?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli!

Long time reader, first time commenter! Anyways, speaking of lists, I really missed your thanksgiving list this year. any chance maybe we can get 100 things you appreciate at christmas??? Just an idea, but I would love to read it!

As always, great writing. also, the xmas tree looks sooooo cute! Nice that your cat was "a help" mine is just swatting ornaments off the branches, of course. Anyways, happy holidays!

heidikins said...

I am so proud of you for making it through Anna Karenina! I have yet to read a Tolstoy novel, although I'm pretty sure I own a half dozen of them. Hmmm...I sense a reading resolution of my own coming up. :)

xox