Monday, December 31, 2012

Closing the door on 2012.

So, here it is, my annual 38 question round-up, that helps close the door on the year that's ending...and gets me looking forward to the year that awaits, just hours away - 2013. 
2009, 2010, and 2011 are linked if you're interested.  


1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Traveled to Spain and Portugal, started - and stuck with - an actual running planning; working my way up to running 5k, took a job where I'm managing people, went apple picking.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This is what I wrote last year for the start of 2012:

For 2012? I'm pretty much looking to do more of the same as I was last year, so those resolutions continue. And, an addition. To make time. We only get 24 hours in a day. But I really want to work at using those 24 hours wisely - of being aware when to slow down and take it all in...and when to hurry up and trek along at a steady clip. If I figure it all out, I'll let you know.

I'm about to talk about how 2012 was, yet again, the fastest year of my life, so I didn't exactly make more time.  But, I do think I made very good use of this year - I did, saw, and accomplished quite a lot.  So I'm going to check the "success" box on this one.

Now, 2013.  Oh, 2013.  The other day a friend was telling me about how she doesn't make resolutions, per say, but "intentions." She picks one aspect of her life - friendship, health, etc., and decides to make that her focus for the year...and the resolutions for that aspect sort of fall into place after that.  I like that idea.

So with that in mind, I intend to focus on my heart in 2013; taking time to listen and trust it, remembering that it's just as important as the rest of me as I go through my daily existence.  There are times, when I let the "what-ifs" take over...and I talk myself out of things; I avoid putting my heart out on a line for fear of it getting hurt.  I'd like to do less of that in the coming year.

More reading time is a necessity for 2013.

And then, the usual - more writing, more running and yoga, making time for the things that matter.  Basically, keeping up and maintaining the things I got right in 2012.   

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yup.  My cousin had a daughter in January.  My friend Jen also had a baby boy in January.  My friend Kate had her second child in June, my friend Libby had a son in July, one of my best high school girlfriends had her second son on my birthday in September, another college friend had a baby girl in September, and my lovely friend Beth had her second son in December.  There's probably another friend/baby combo in the mix there too that I'm forgetting about - 2012 brought along a lot of healthy, sweet little bambinos.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I have been so, so lucky that I've never had to type yes in response to this question since I've been doing this year-end round up.  I'm grateful.

5. What countries did you visit?
Spain and Portugal in May.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
 A significant other that's a best friend too.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
A lot happened in 2012, and the timeline of all unfolding events is pretty clear in my mind, but I wouldn't say there are any specific dates that stick out in particular.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a new job in October, sticking with a running program long enough to actually build up some sort of an actual running routine, increasing my yoga practice, filling my days/weekends/time with a lot of things I really wanted to do.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I wish I'd read more.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, nothing beyond the minor cold.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
my round trip plane ticket to Madrid.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
any time there was an outpouring of love, support, and hope from communities around the world when unspeakable tragedy struck.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oh, where to begin?  Every year this question always seems to come back to the politicians, doesn't it?  So, 2012... how about Rush Limbaugh's re: his unacceptable Sandra Fluke comments.

14. Where did most of your money go?
the usual - rent, insurance.  Vet bills since my cat's diabetic diagnosis in August.
 
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
traveling abroad, visiting my family and friends, weekend adventures, seeing The Lumineers twice in concert, my Dad ultimately not moving out of NJ, my new job, great books, good TV - Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead.

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Oh, a little number that goes something like this - "Hey, I just met you.  And this is craaaaazzzy....but here's my number..."
Yep.  I think I heard that song a couple of times this year.


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier
b) thinner
c) richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
More reading.  More writing. More dating (the right person.)

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasting time and thoughts on things that don't necessarily matter all that much.


20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I was down in Atlanta for Christmas, at my Mom's house.  My brother and his girlfriend, my Dad, and two dogs were in attendance as well.  It was nice to have a full house for the holidays this year.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Nope.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Breaking Bad.  Because it is one of the most well written shows I have ever watched.  Also, it is awesome.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.

24. What was the best book you read?
I don't think I can pick just one.  A few favorites of the year: The Fault in Our Stars - John Green, The Imperfectionists - Tom Rachman, This is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper.
I'm not yet finished with The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon but I have loved the first 600 pages...

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Oh, this one is easy -  The Lumineers, The Lumineers, The Lumineers.  No question.

26. What did you want and get?
to travel, no summer weekends spent in the sweltering city, a new job, to fall into an exercise routine that works for me, to not lose my connection/a home base in my hometown.


27. What did you want and not get?
A year ago today, I thought I was in a serious relationship.  A year ago tomorrow, I learned I wasn't.  So...there was that.


28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Probably Argo.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 in September, a Friday.  I was at work, with two stellar co-workers (and real life friends) who made the whole day feel special.  Four of us went out for lobster rolls at lunch, then they surprised me with Graters ice cream back at my desk.  After work, two friends and I went for burgers and fries in my neighborhood and then over to a bar where different friends dropped in and out throughout the night to say hello.  Around 10pm that night, I got a text from my friend Meg, announcing that my birthday wish had come true - her son arrived on his due date and he and I now shared a birthday.  

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This year started out as a doozy and I was initially not the biggest fan of 2012.  But, things turned around, (as they eventually, always do) and the year has turned out to be pretty great.  So I don't really have any requests to make things immeasurably more satisfying.  Like a lot of people, I'd like to find that special someone to be in a relationship with...but, that too will eventually turn around.  Things always do.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Pencil skirts, nautical themes, infinity scarves, statement jewelry, cocktail rings, polka dots, and, of course, stripes.

32. What kept you sane?
My friends.  My family.  Running, yoga.  Writing, reading, music, solo road trips.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Well, I've become a touch obsessed with The Lumineers and have pretty much listened to their album non-stop throughout the year. My Kate Middleton girl-crush continues, of course.  And, I suppose now is a good time to come clean about my growing crush on Norman Reedus, the actor who plays Daryl on The Walking Dead.


34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I feel like this year was ripe with politics, issues, and insane current event after insane event.  Still, I can't not mention the terrible events of Newtown, Connecticut even though I wouldn't exactly classify it as "political."  Not a day has gone by since December 14th that I haven't thought about or prayed for the families and friends of the victims.
  
35. Who did you miss?
At the start of 2012, I missed the guy I'd been dating last year who moved to Oregon.  But, then we ended things and I decided not to linger on that any longer.  My good friend Hannah moved to New York in the fall, I miss her like crazy.  My brother, who lives too far away in San Diego, my family who is spread across the US, any of my friends I didn't get to see enough throughout the year.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
My favorite Brit, the lovely, talented, and hilarious Sarah Smizz

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Keep going.  You must always keep going.  Even if you take things one single, tiny step at a time. 

and...an old favorite:

"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
The Lumineers - Stubborn Love

It's better to feel pain, than nothing at all
The opposite of love's indifference
Pay attention now, I'm standing on your porch screaming out
And I won't leave until you come downstairs

So keep your head up, keep your love

Keep your head up, my love [x2]
Keep your head up, keep your love


And I don't blame ya dear, for running like you did all these years
I would do the same you best believe
And the highway signs say we're close, but I don't read those things anymore
I never trusted my own eyes

When we were young, oh we did enough
When it got cold, oh, we bundled up
I can't be told it can't be done.

No comments: