- Martin Luther King Jr. -
I am reading a great book. The other night, as I stepped off the train at my subway stop, I was only a page away from finishing a chapter. Instead of tucking a bookmark into the pages as I normally would, I kept reading while I was walking out of the station - taking the subway steps slower than usual, focusing more on the drama unfolding on the pages than where I was actually walking.
"I couldn't put that book down either," said a voice behind me. I turned to my left to see a businessman walking up the steps next to me. He nodded towards my book.
"It's so good isn't it?" I said. "I just love the stories he weaves together and it's so well written...I'm almost thankful I'm only half-way through at this point -- so much more to enjoy." The man smiled. "And it just gets better," he promised. "In fact, now I'm inspired to go re-read it myself."
By this point we'd reached the top of the subway stair case. I was headed toward the right, he to the left. "It was really nice talking to you," I called. He nodded. "Same to you."
As I walked home after that encounter, I clutched my book a little tighter to my chest, allowed a small little smile to grow on my face. In a week of so much utter devastating sadness, this brief, chance encounter with a stranger had warmed my heart for the first time in days.
As I walked home after that encounter, I clutched my book a little tighter to my chest, allowed a small little smile to grow on my face. In a week of so much utter devastating sadness, this brief, chance encounter with a stranger had warmed my heart for the first time in days.
******
I've been an admirer of Anne Frank for as long as I can remember. Often, I find myself thinking of a line from her diary: "I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart." This past week, like most of the nation, I've been unable to turn away from the news. I'm searching for some sort of answer or understanding or peace that I know will never come. And yet I take small comforts in learning of this great, awesome, inspiring, outpouring of love for the community of Newtown. I see it in the people interviewed, I hear it in the first responders voices, I notice it when the normally stoic, unemotional newscasters voice catches. I read about children as far away as Texas, California, Brazil, Prague sending messages of love and prayers, mailing teddy bears, making snowflakes to decorate the new school students will attend in January.
There is so much kindness out there, there is so much love, there is so much heart.
Earlier this week, I was lucky enough to visit some very dear friends and meet their newest son, a tiny little guy only ten days old. I soaked in his baby smell and baby sounds and marveled over his tiny little toes, hands, ears. His parents and I giggled over take-out Thai food while their babies slept, laughing over the silliest, most random things. It was a soul-warming evening, yet another glimmer of so much love and kindness that exists. And so, I thought to myself driving home from their house, after I gave my hugs and kisses and promises for another visit in the early new year, another new, beautiful little life has begun.
******
I pray in the coming days the families of the victims and the town of Newtown find peace, solace, and comfort. I hope they know how many people are thinking of them, praying for them, loving them. With Christmas just a few days away, I hope we all hold those near and dear to us close, and for a few days at least, we lead with our hearts. We make way for love, for kindness, for faith and hope. And perhaps, most importantly we remember that we are all in this together.
Merry Christmas, dear friends.

2 comments:
Merry Christmas, I hope you have a wonderful holiday full of love and family and warmth and more love.
xox
I have been so impressed by the parents of the victims who have been interviewed. First how they are even able to speak coherently after such a devastating tragedy. But most of all I have been impressed by how eloquently they have spoken of their loss, their lovely children, their faith, etc. Truly these children were blessed during their short lives just as their parents were blessed to have them. There is no explanation for the evil that was unleashed upon the innocent. But clearly love exists in Newtown, CT and throughout the nation who grieves with them.
Post a Comment