On Sunday morning, I ran in my first official road race.
Before we go any further, let's go ahead and get the disclaimers out of the way - it was only a 5k, (which, yes, I know a lot of people can do in their sleep) almost all of the 5,000 participants sign up more for the fun and Irish/St. Patrick's day theme than the actual competitive race piece, etc., etc.,
But still. You guys. I ran a flippin' road race! Completely of my own volition!
Were I to sit down, even a year ago, and make a list of things I would most likely never due in my lifetime I imagine somewhere near the top might be:
-- Get any part of my body, beyond my ears, pierced.
-- Participate in a roller derby or anything even remotely resembling a roller derby.
-- Run any sort of true distance. Um, at all. Never mind the competitive part.
Cut to a night out with one of my friends in January, me on my third glass of wine, rambling along about my new found obsession with the Couch to 5k app/program.
"We should run a 5k together, sometime." she says, earnestly. "Seriously. It'd be good motivation for us."
I take a sip of my wine, sort of shrug/nod in a rather non-committal fashion.
"Uh, yeah. Maybe. I'm, um, not very fast you know."
"Please. I'm not either. I haven't run competitively since high school."
Which is more or less how I found myself in possession of a registered race number on Sunday morning. Admittedly, I was not nearly as prepared as I would have liked - in fact I had not run a single step in the week leading up to the race (but I did a lot of yoga! at least I was limber!) though thankfully that whole not running ahead of time (snow. ice.) turned out to not be the end of the world. Our one friend Lauren, a true marathoner that totally sprinted ahead of us, agreeing to meet us at the finish line when all was said and done. But my other friend Erin and I kept a good pace together, and while we won't exactly be breaking any records, we both crossed the finish line with a somewhat respectable time.
Oh, and we got medals. So did the other 4, 997 runners who participated. Still. Kelli = a road race, a medal for running? I swear sometimes I don't even recognize myself.
I'd do it all again of course, if for the atmosphere alone.
Well, that and the guilt free beer and cheeseburger I had post-run too of course.

3 comments:
Wahoo! I'm proud of you, friend. :)
Awesome! Congrats!
My SIL emailed me the other day to see if I wanted to sign up for a relay team where I run 3 5ks in a single day....which terrifies me. Mostly because, um, that's 15k! That's a lot of miles! And secondly because I worry about a team's rating depending on my speed. I'm fine taking second to last on my own merits, but I don't want to make other people take second-to-last because I needed a little breather, ya know?
xox
I'm so proud of you and your friends! And I love those socks...AND the medal! Horse shows as a kid and now you're using your OWN legs. Don't stop now. What's next? A marathon?
Post a Comment