A few weeks ago, I pulled the trigger and bought myself a road bike. I had been thinking about and wanting one for years and after some research, along with the discovery of a great sale and the fact that Massachusetts was offering a tax free weekend, I finally just bit the bullet and went for it. Like bringing a new friend into the fold I texted my Mom a photo of the gorgeous lady almost immediately after the purchase was complete. Later that night, when we were catching up on the phone, I was speaking about all of the bells and whistles the bike came with, chatting about how excited I was to check out some of the bike trails around Boston that I'd always heard about.
"Well, Kel" she said. "It's another adventure. And you always seek out adventures."
Later, after we hung up and I was cleaning up my kitchen, I thought further about what my Mother had said. I do love adventure. After all, wasn't it Helen Keller who said "life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all?" More apt to the point though, and really there's no other way to say it might sound any less cheesy, but I really, simply and truly, love life. There is so much to experience and see and do and taste and feel and live that even on my worst, most frustrating days, I can't ever get tired of or ungrateful for my chance at a spin around this great and glorious planet.
Very early on Tuesday morning, August 26th, 2014, a brand new little soul arrived here on Earth, as pure and perfect as can be. My nephew.
I am fortunate in that I play the role of Aunt Kelli to many lovable, wonderful, purely amazing little people these days as more and more of my friends have children. There are few things I enjoy more than sitting on the floor playing with these little kids and their toys, hearing all about the imaginary worlds they've created with their Lego's or trucks or trains. It is such fun to sit and laugh with them while their Mom gets them to show me their latest trick or sing a silly song. I love watching my friends become parents and I'm so grateful to have a whole slew of kiddos that I have known from birth.
The little man who arrived earlier than his anticipated due date though is my first blood-related, honest to goodness, nephew and man oh man. When we first learned my brother and his wife were expecting a baby, of course, I was excited. Yet there is a shift that I didn't quite comprehend or expect once the baby moved from the "abstract" to a real, live, here with us in the present, newborn. And holy smokes, am I already over the moon for this little kid.
From the hours when we got the initial "we're at the hospital" text to the text announcing his birth, I just kept thinking about the wonder and experiences that await this little life. A brand new person! Making his way into this world! What joys and experiences and yes, adventures await him in what I hope is a full, long, and healthy life ahead. As any Aunt would, I already know he'll be one of the smartest boys in his class, full of questions and curiosities that will guide him well in life. He'll probably have a bit of (ahem) my brother's stubborn side as well, though I hope he'll learn when to give and when to take as appropriate, and that he will choose his battles wisely. I pray that he has a heart of gold, compassion, understanding, and kindness. I hope this little nephew of mine is happy, and content, that he finds his unique little place in this world without much heartache or strife.
Or that, when the heartache and strife comes (because is always does) that it never lingers for long and ultimately makes him a better, wiser, more worldly man.
At yoga class earlier this week, our instructor closed class by asking us to dedicate our thoughts to someone; to spend a few minutes sending out our love and thoughts toward whomever we had chosen. Naturally, I picked my nephew. For of course, I want and wish nothing but the best in this life for him. What I hope, really above all else though, is that he enjoys and cherishes the simple things in life. Here is a brand new soul, that soon gets to learn how delicious and refreshing an ice cream can be on a warm summer day, or how one of the greatest feelings in the world is walking along the shore line, letting your toes squish in the sand and splash in the water. I hope he realizes how delightful a pure, solid belly laugh is, that he knows the first snowfall of every winter is nothing but pure magic. May he feel the wind on his face as he learns to ride a bike, may he know the joy of eating fresh blueberries (his Aunt's favorite) straight off the bush after they've been warmed in the sun. I hope books and the arts delight him, I hope he appreciates just how much fun it is to turn up your favorite song and dance around the living room while no one is watching. There are so many firsts ahead of this kid, this wonder of a human being. If his Aunt Kelli can teach him one single lesson, I hope it is this: "The days go by with so many little things that don't seem to matter, until they're no longer there. Suddenly, they're all that ever mattered."
I am so proud of him already.
Friday, August 29, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Such a sweet post. I have 19 nieces and nephews who I love dearly, but my niece who first made me an aunt will always hold a special place in my heart.
xox
I was completely overwhelmed when Cam was born two years ago. Like you, I had already experienced lots of friends having babies, whom I adored. But when I woke up that MLK Monday morning and found a text with a photo and a name--my NEPHEW, this whole new person--I burst into tears. It's the best thing ever, and I'm so happy for you Aunt Kel! xx
You will be a good aunt. You feel just the way I WANT to feel.
Post a Comment