With the year coming to a rapid close, it's time for my annual What I Read List to appear. I love keeping this list, I love sharing this list with the three friends that swap book lists with me every single year. It's a great tradition - both the swapping notes, comments, and lists with these old college pals of mine - and the simple, sheer act of taking note of what books I tuned into throughout the year. It's a tradition that started without intention of becoming any sort of tradition. Just like the best ones always are.
20 books in 2014. That's what I managed this year. Which, maybe is a lot to some, a puny few to others. Every year I try and try not to get obsessed with the number of books consumed - it's the journey not the destination, etc.- but still, this one felt like an awfully short list, no matter that I usually average in the 20-25 books/annually range.
I stumbled upon some real gems this year. There were a few that I expected from the get-go to be good (Patchett, Harding) and others that left me pleasantly pleased (Novak, Strayed). My favorite read came as a complete surprise, when I picked up Rules of Civility in the spring for our book club read. There were disappointments (Rowell, (I know people love her and Eleanor & Park, but it just didn't do it for me) Glass, Cameron, Sullivan, Lahiri, (Lahiri! A disappointment!) as well. Par for the course. But this year I felt like I kept hitting these spells of bad book after bad book and it would take forever to get back into something worth reading/that I really cared about. One of my aforementioned college friends offered the elixir of jumping to a long neglected classic the next time I get a case of the bad book rut, which will be my plan in the coming year. Back in the saddle and all that. Onward, to 2015 and all of THOSE books I can't wait to get my hands on.
But, first! My list!
Books I read in 2014:
20 books in 2014. That's what I managed this year. Which, maybe is a lot to some, a puny few to others. Every year I try and try not to get obsessed with the number of books consumed - it's the journey not the destination, etc.- but still, this one felt like an awfully short list, no matter that I usually average in the 20-25 books/annually range.
I stumbled upon some real gems this year. There were a few that I expected from the get-go to be good (Patchett, Harding) and others that left me pleasantly pleased (Novak, Strayed). My favorite read came as a complete surprise, when I picked up Rules of Civility in the spring for our book club read. There were disappointments (Rowell, (I know people love her and Eleanor & Park, but it just didn't do it for me) Glass, Cameron, Sullivan, Lahiri, (Lahiri! A disappointment!) as well. Par for the course. But this year I felt like I kept hitting these spells of bad book after bad book and it would take forever to get back into something worth reading/that I really cared about. One of my aforementioned college friends offered the elixir of jumping to a long neglected classic the next time I get a case of the bad book rut, which will be my plan in the coming year. Back in the saddle and all that. Onward, to 2015 and all of THOSE books I can't wait to get my hands on.
But, first! My list!
Books I read in 2014:
- The
Lowland – Jhumpa Lahiri
- This is the Story of a Happy Marriage – Ann Patchett
- The Orphan Master’s Son – Adam Johnson
- Almost French – Sarah Trumball
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena – Anthony Marra
- One More Thing (Stories and Other Stories) – B.J. Novak
- Divergent – Veronica Roth
- Rules of Civility – Amor Towles
- The Art of Fielding – Chad Harbach
- Eleanor and Park – Rainbow Rowell
- The Bear – Claire Cameron
- The Whole World Over – Julia Glass
- Maine – J. Courtney Sullivan
- Purple Hibiscus – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Sharp Objects – Gillian Flynn
- It’s Not You: 27 (Wrong) Reasons You’re Single – Sara Eckel
- Tiny Beautiful Things Advice on love and life from Dear Sugar –
Cheryl Strayed
- Unbroken – Laura Hillenbrand
- Half-Broke Horses – Jeannette Walls
- Yes Please – Amy Poehler
3 comments:
I'd be curious to hear more about what you thought of these! It's a good list.
Oooooh!! I love book lists!
Excellent reads here!
xox
More motivation from you to READ READ READ!
Post a Comment