1. What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done
before?
Started my second year of business school.
Traveled to Aruba, Richmond and Urbana, VA, stayed overnight
in Philadelphia (I grew up 40 minutes away and never once had spent the night
in the city until this year!)
Tie-dyed, made homemade body scrubs and moisturizers, hosted
a wine tasting.
Started dating a new fella.
Climbed atop the roof of Sage Hall, Cornell’s business
school, under the cover of darkness with my closest b. school friends.
Dealt with a dead battery in my Jeep. (Seriously, had never
dealt with that before in my life.)
2. Did
you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Here was my rambling sort of goal for 2016:
As I sit here, hours away from 2016, I know
I'm going to have a whirlwind year ahead of me. So I won't get too lofty
with my goals for this coming year. I would like to maintain perspective
about the things that really matter - what's worth getting worked up over and
what isn't.
2016 - I would like to go for it whenever possible, to reach and keep reaching and grab for all that I can. There is such a lot of life out there for us. I also want to practice the art of being present and aware. I reached a lot in 2015 and received a lot. While I certainly don't want to become stagnant in the coming year and I want to keep growing and evolving...I don't want to be so focused on the future that I forget to stop and really notice the current place and moment(s) I am in.
2016 - I would like to go for it whenever possible, to reach and keep reaching and grab for all that I can. There is such a lot of life out there for us. I also want to practice the art of being present and aware. I reached a lot in 2015 and received a lot. While I certainly don't want to become stagnant in the coming year and I want to keep growing and evolving...I don't want to be so focused on the future that I forget to stop and really notice the current place and moment(s) I am in.
I actually don’t
think I did a great job of focusing on the present or not sweating the small
stuff in 2016. In fact, I think this was
one of the worst years for me in that regard and I pretty much did the exact
opposite. 2016 felt a lot like a year
where I just had to focus on crossing things off the list – one thing after
another after another. I was so busy
thinking about the next thing on my list that I had to do that I barely
registered when I’d completed something.
2016 = one long to-do list!
For 2017, I’m
trying to keep it simple – be brave and be present. I’d like to simply be
present, enjoy and really BE at each moment I am given…and not be afraid of
taking leaps into the unknown.
3. Did
anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, more and more babies arrived in 2016 for friends near and far.
Yes, more and more babies arrived in 2016 for friends near and far.
4. Did
anyone close to you die?
My cat, Nolan, died in April.
My cat, Nolan, died in April.
5. What
countries did you visit?
Aruba! And I’m off to Mexico soon!
Aruba! And I’m off to Mexico soon!
6. What
would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
More time. A sense of peace. Calm, relaxed moments where I can just enjoy them instead of worrying about what’s next on the to-do list. Visits with my nephew.
More time. A sense of peace. Calm, relaxed moments where I can just enjoy them instead of worrying about what’s next on the to-do list. Visits with my nephew.
7. What
dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
April 23rd was the first date I had with my now beau. After texting and talking and being flirty/friendly he finally asked me out and rode the train up from NYC where he lives, and took me out on a proper date.
April 23rd was the first date I had with my now beau. After texting and talking and being flirty/friendly he finally asked me out and rode the train up from NYC where he lives, and took me out on a proper date.
8. What
was your biggest achievement of the year?
Oh man. Surviving? Keeping my nose above water? Making it through another year at work place? Balancing – or trying to -school and work and friends and family and life and yoga and a relationship.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not devoting enough time to certain things, spreading myself too thin, not being in the moment and enjoying those moments for what they were, as they happened.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My education.
Oh man. Surviving? Keeping my nose above water? Making it through another year at work place? Balancing – or trying to -school and work and friends and family and life and yoga and a relationship.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not devoting enough time to certain things, spreading myself too thin, not being in the moment and enjoying those moments for what they were, as they happened.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My education.
The brief long weekends away I had during my very brief
summer break.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who shined goodness and light and hope in a year when it seemed there was darkness and terror and tragedy at virtually every turn.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump. Oh my God.
14. Where did most of your money go?
My education.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who shined goodness and light and hope in a year when it seemed there was darkness and terror and tragedy at virtually every turn.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump. Oh my God.
14. Where did most of your money go?
My education.
Travel back and forth to school, to NYC.
Rent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Any chance I got to spend with my Mom or Dad, seeing my
friends, making it to yoga classes regularly. Finishing year one of business school, getting a brief
summer break from business school and squeezing in trips to Aruba, the Jersey
shore, Maine, and Martha’s Vineyard in that brief break. Talking to this new guy from business school in the spring
who was helping me in Finance. Having
that new guy take me on a date one Saturday night at the end of April. Planning a beach vacation to ring in the New Year in Tulum!
16. What
song will always remind you of 2016?
Um. Eh. I guess probably Beyoncé’s Formation.
Um. Eh. I guess probably Beyoncé’s Formation.
17.
Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or
fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier
a) happier
b) fatter
c) poorer
18. What do you
wish you'd done more of?
Being present and in the moment, focusing on moments as they came and enjoying them versus feeling so rushed and scattered that at times everything just became one big “to-do” list.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I’d like to say homework but that sort of defeats the purpose of school doesn’t it? Less stress about stuff at work would have been nice.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
My Mom and I spent Christmas together at her house, along with wonder-puppy Bailey. We opened presents, ate good food, and were entertained with visits from her next door neighbors, two little girls (8 and 5) who delight us so.
Being present and in the moment, focusing on moments as they came and enjoying them versus feeling so rushed and scattered that at times everything just became one big “to-do” list.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I’d like to say homework but that sort of defeats the purpose of school doesn’t it? Less stress about stuff at work would have been nice.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
My Mom and I spent Christmas together at her house, along with wonder-puppy Bailey. We opened presents, ate good food, and were entertained with visits from her next door neighbors, two little girls (8 and 5) who delight us so.
21. Did
you fall in love in 2016?
I did indeed. Exactly when I wasn’t looking and least expected it. (And trust me, I totally realize how annoying it is that I just typed that sentence. Eye roll, eye roll, eye roll.)
I did indeed. Exactly when I wasn’t looking and least expected it. (And trust me, I totally realize how annoying it is that I just typed that sentence. Eye roll, eye roll, eye roll.)
22. What
was your favorite TV program?
I hardly watched any TV this year, but just recently discovered Netflix’s The Crown and I am obsessed.
I hardly watched any TV this year, but just recently discovered Netflix’s The Crown and I am obsessed.
23. Do
you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.
Nope.
24. What
was the best book you read?
I’m ashamed I didn’t get more (pleasure) reading time in this year, but I’d say Richand Pretty by Rumaan Alam was my favorite read.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Houndmouth, which virtually the whole world already knew about. I have really fallen off my A game with the music scene. #gettingold
26. What did you want and get?
more schooling, more yoga, good memories, someone special in my life
I’m ashamed I didn’t get more (pleasure) reading time in this year, but I’d say Richand Pretty by Rumaan Alam was my favorite read.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Houndmouth, which virtually the whole world already knew about. I have really fallen off my A game with the music scene. #gettingold
26. What did you want and get?
more schooling, more yoga, good memories, someone special in my life
27. What did
you want and not get?
more time with my family, my friends, more time to read and travel for pleasure
28. What was your favorite film of the year?
I swear I need to keep a list of films I see because I NEVER remember them when I get to this question and always just tell you the last film I saw. Which, indecently was Manchester By the Sea, and it is excellent. Heartbreaking, but excellent. LaLaLand is next in my queue.
more time with my family, my friends, more time to read and travel for pleasure
28. What was your favorite film of the year?
I swear I need to keep a list of films I see because I NEVER remember them when I get to this question and always just tell you the last film I saw. Which, indecently was Manchester By the Sea, and it is excellent. Heartbreaking, but excellent. LaLaLand is next in my queue.
29. What
did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37 (!) and had an awesome day. I took the day off (brilliant move) and enjoyed coffee on the porch with my boyfriend in the morning, opened my presents, then went downtown for a pamper day of a massage, mani/pedi and a blow out before meeting my fella for oysters and rose in the Back Bay and then walking together over to the South End to have dinner at one of my all time favorite Boston restaurants.
I turned 37 (!) and had an awesome day. I took the day off (brilliant move) and enjoyed coffee on the porch with my boyfriend in the morning, opened my presents, then went downtown for a pamper day of a massage, mani/pedi and a blow out before meeting my fella for oysters and rose in the Back Bay and then walking together over to the South End to have dinner at one of my all time favorite Boston restaurants.
30. What
one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
having more free time (can you sense a theme here?)
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
“Boho-Chic” - and I’m saying that because that’s exactly what one of my Cornell classmates says about my style every time I see her.
having more free time (can you sense a theme here?)
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
“Boho-Chic” - and I’m saying that because that’s exactly what one of my Cornell classmates says about my style every time I see her.
32. What
kept you sane?
yoga, my friends and my parents, my boyfriend, coming home to the solace of my cozy apartment
yoga, my friends and my parents, my boyfriend, coming home to the solace of my cozy apartment
33. Which
celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I saw Ann Patchett do a reading at Harvard this spring and it renewed my girl crush on her tenfold.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I saw Ann Patchett do a reading at Harvard this spring and it renewed my girl crush on her tenfold.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
the 2016 presidential election. Dear Lord.
35. Who did you miss?
my parents, my brother, my friends who I don’t get to see often enough – especially the ones that have moved away from the Boston area.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Well, I technically already knew him in 2015 but no more than a passing hello here or there. So I’ll definitely say my now boyfriend.
37.
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t look around now and then, you could miss it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t look around now and then, you could miss it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Don’t Stop. Believing. Hold on to
that feeling.
1 comment:
Aww, there is so much wonderful sprinkled throughout this, you know, squeezed inbetween the classes and homework and stress and work projects and everything.
Hugs and love!
xox
Post a Comment