2019 was a hell of a year for a lot of reasons. One area it excelled in those was my reading time. I have a reverse commute now in my New York life, taking the Path train out to New Jersey every day for my job guarantees me morning and evening reading time (with no cell service as I go under the Hudson River! A blessed break.)
I managed to read 35 books this year, perhaps a personal record. I read far more memoirs than is my standard and I got lucky, having more hits than misses with my picks. I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite but top three would probably be: Born to Run (Bruce! my best friend! I was so sad when our journey together ended.) No One Tells You This (finally, someone captured life heading into your 40s as a single woman) and Circe (because if you too have read it, you know exactly why it's in my top three.)
Honorable mention goes to Daisy Jones & the Six - a great summer read that totally swept me up in the world of sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll and my very last read of the year, which I finished yesterday, The Dutch House. Oh, Ann Patchett, I will read your grocery lists should you publish them.
There were a few duds too, there always are. I didn't quite understand the obsession everyone seemed to have with Where the Crawdads Sing. Less may have won the Pulitzer but maybe those judges read a completely different book? Because I just did not get the obsession. Three Women was one I wanted to talk about with other people but didn't like - I had a lot of issues with the writing style and direction. But that's also exactly why I wanted to talk to people about it.
If 2019 gave me anything, (while it was busy taking away a lot) it was a reminder of how much I love to read and how important books are in my life - for that I will remain grateful.
2019 Reads:
Becoming - Michelle Obama
Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
This Will Only Hurt a Little - Busy Phillips
Uncommon Type: Some Stories - Tom Hanks
Educated: A Memoir - Tara Westover
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Chosen By a Horse - Susan Richards
Man’s Search for Meaning - Victor E. Frankl
Inheritance - Dani Shapiro
No One Tells You This - Glynnis MacNicol
Pachinko - Min Jin Lee
The Great Believers - Rebecca Makkai
On Being 40ish (essays) - edited by Lindsey Mead
Florida - Lauren Groff
Less - Andrew Sean Greeg
I Miss You When I Blink - Mary Laura Philpott
The Last Romantics - Tara Conklin
Little Comfort - Edwin Hill
Daisy Jones & the Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid
Warlight - Michael Ondaatje
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - Taylor Jenkins Reid
Circe - Madeline Miller
Almost Everything - Anne Lamont
The Mother-In-Law - Sally Hepworth
The Friend - Sigrid Nunez
When You Read This - Mary Adkins
Calypso - David Sedaris
The Witch Elm - Tana French
Evvie Drake Starts Over - Linda Holmes
Exit West - Mohsin Hamid
Sing, Unburied, Sing - Jesmyn Ward
Three Women - Lisa Taddeo
Born A Crime - Trevor Noah
The River - Peter Heller
The Dutch House - Ann Patchett
No comments:
Post a Comment