Tuesday, December 31, 2019

See ya, 2019!

1.  What did you do in 2019 that you'd never done before?

Rang in 2019 in Paris.
Traveled to Tulum for a yoga retreat.
Suffered through and dealt with work reorganization insanity and a few tenuous months of not knowing how secure my job was.
Traveled to Japan and Hong Kong.
Spent two weekends at Kripalu out in the Berkshires over the summer.
Visited my brother and his family out in California; had the best time being an aunt to my adorable nephew.
Helped my Dad successfully recover after he had quadruple bypass surgery in September.
Turned 40!
Lived a full year on the island of Manhattan.
2.  Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

In 2019, I set a few tangible goals - some I fully accomplished, some I partially accomplished, and some I failed miserably at.  I said I wanted to be brave, stay the course, remains true to myself, and remain kind and compassionate even when I might be surrounded by unkind people.  Overall I believe I did a pretty decent job of those goals and in a what really was a not so great a year. 

I want to be a good human.  And I'm doing my best every day.

For 2020, my one and only goal is to just be open.  Those are my words and mantra for this year that kicks us off in a brand new decade.

3.  Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several friends did - for some of them it was their first baby, for others their third or fourth!
4.  Did anyone close to you die?

Unfortunately, yes. 

5. What countries did you visit?

France, Mexico, Bermuda, Japan and Hong Kong.
6.  What would you like to have in 2020 that you lacked in 2019?

2019 can shove it, so I'll pretty much take whatever 2020 has in store for me provided it's an upswing from 2019. 

7.  What dates from 2019 will remain etched upon your memory and why?

March 15th - kind of the pinnacle of a lot of work drama unfolding and coming together.
June 3rd - I officially started in my new role at work.
September 9th - my Dad had quadruple bypass surgery.
September 21st - my 40th(!) birthday.
December 25th.

8.  What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Fighting for and successfully keeping my position at work during a myriad of craziness during the biggest reorg I've ever witnessed. Sticking up for myself and negotiating a new salary and promotion benefits like a boss.

9.  What was your biggest failure?


Not getting as involved in new activities or groups in New York City to meet people. Not being able to clone myself and be in multiple places at multiple times - and as a result sometimes stretching myself a little too thin.

10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?

Thankfully, no.

11.  What was the best thing you bought?

Plane and train tickets.  Theater tickets to shows on Broadway - especially an orchestra seat to Hadestown.

12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?


My friends and my family - what good and wonderful people I have in my life who keep me going when life throws insane curveballs. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?


Ugh. Donald Trump. Pretty sure I had the same answer last year too.

14.  Where did most of your money go?


Plane tickets, rent, general life in New York City.


15.  What did you get really, really, really excited about?


Seeing my friends - whether they were visiting me in New York or I was heading to Boston or beyond to see them.
Travel.
Making all this job stuff successfully happen.

16.  What song will always remind you of 2019?

Anything by Maggie Rogers or Kasey Musgraves.

17.  Compared to this time last year, are you: a)happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a) sadder.
b) I think I'm same weight I was at this time last year.
c) richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Taking time to just catch my breath and be present. More yoga, more working out, more trying to be brave and embrace where I am in this chapter of my life.

19.  What do you wish you'd done less of?


Worrying and stressing - particularly about things that are completely out of my control.

20.  How will you be spending Christmas?


I was down at my Mom's house in Georgia and celebrated the holiday with her and the best corgi in all of corgi land, Bailey.

21.  Did you fall in love in 2019?

Yes.
22.  What was your favorite TV program?

Fleabag.

23.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

No.
24.  What was the best book you read?

It's so hard to just pick one - but I'll go with  Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen. 

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?


Maggie Rogers.

26.  What did you want and get?


To try on life in Manhattan, to have lots of my Bostonian friends visit me in Manhattan.
To travel near and wide and to many distant lands.
To secure my job.


27. What did you want and not get?

More friends in New York.
The right guy to date.
My old team still together at work.


28.  What was your favorite film of the year?


I totally suck at this question because I cannot remember movies I have seen and I feel like all I watch now are tv series. Honestly, I don't think I have an answer. (Worst film major ever.) The Joker is one of the few movies I remember seeing last year so let's go with that - as dark and disturbing as it was, the acting was brilliant as was the cinematography.
29.  What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 40 this September and I still can't believe it. I drove up to Manhattan from New Jersey on the morning of my birthday after helping my Dad recover from his surgery, met some friends for brunch, then got to a very satisfying yoga class.  I went and got my nails done then met a few friends at one of my favorite restaurants in the Village.  After dinner one friend and I went back uptown to see Josh Ritter play at The Beacon Theater.  
30.  What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Better timing. Less distance between cities and places.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2019?


A very dear friend of mine said that I "dress in a timeless, classic style but keep my accessories funky and hip" - so I guess that sums it up well.
32.  What kept you sane?

My friends to lean on, my family, books/reading, writing, yoga, being outdoors, going to the theater, horseback riding whenever I could get it.
33.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I mean, I've always loved Bruce Springsteen but reading Born to Run took it to a whole new level.

34.  What political issue stirred you the most?

Dumb things our president said or did or tweeted.  All of this social media bullying. Really, all of it was pretty insane this year, let's be honest.

35.  Who did you miss?

My friends.

36.  Who was the best new person you met?

My new co-workers who have been so welcoming to me in the office, in particular one friend named Emily. She has been a wonderful shoulder to lean on in a place - and a city - where I still don't know a heck of a lot of people. 
 37.  Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2019.

Don't give up. Keep pushing, keep advocating, keep fighting. Do not apologize. Life is really beautiful and breathtaking and also so damn hard.  It can be really, really hard.  
Lean on people. Make connections. Be kind.
It's always darkest before the dawn.


38.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


Lost you in the morning, don't live anywhere
I found myself when I was going everywhere


(Maggie Rogers, Back in my Body)

No comments: