It's August.
Time has once again proven surreal and insane and I'm not quite sure how we've landed here, in the eighth month of the year already.
Inspired by this post, I have been thinking since Memorial Day and the unofficial "kick off" to summer about how I'd like to view this season. Unable to land on a theme, I sort of glided through June and July without one, hoping the idea of one of my favorite seasons would just seize me. I mean, I was plenty busy - work doesn't stop and I had some guests visit the city, and I snuck in a few long weekends away here and there. But as we close in on the dog days I guess it's about time I decide on a summer theme, right?
And so, August.
Let this be the month of chill. Or, as Will Smith put it (long before he fell out of favor with the slap heard 'round the Oscars) chillin' out maxing and relaxing all cool.
As of yet, I have no time off scheduled this month, no vacation property reserved in my name, no specific plans for the month that lies ahead. And while I certainly hope to take some time off and find a little vacation spot to jaunt off to with my pup in tow, I am also trying to simply lean in hard to the summer days of old. I'd like to be lazy. To take some deep breaths. To wake up early with the sun and see where the day takes me. I want to read a few books cover to cover; my legs draped over the sofa and a bowl of ripe peaches or cherries beside me. I hope to swim, often. I'd like to watch the night stars appear after grilling a meal outdoors, to let popsicle juice drip off my chin, to find a corn kernel or two stuck in my teeth after eating fresh corn on the cob. Let ponytails or the summer braid be the only hairstyle options I'll entertain. I hope I find a porch to sit on, to sip a gin and tonic with good friends while my dog rests at my feet, all of us content to spend time together as evening twilight settles on us. Should I even dare to think of sparklers at dusk? I'd like to smell of sunscreen and salt water, to fall into bed delightfully sun-weary tired at the end of the day. I want to be barefoot as much as possible.
Let the work meetings be light - pray, non existent. May there be spontaneous gatherings and picnics in the park. Let the sun shine brightly, but keep the humidity at bay, while the trees rustle in the wind. This is the season for ease and simple pleasures. My August prayer is that I catch them.
No comments:
Post a Comment