It's Valentine's Day. I am wearing the one pink sweater I own; the same sweater that I always debate keeping, the one that when I wear it February 14th, I remember that I actually like - even if I don't wear it again until the next year, the next February 14th.
On the whole it has been a regular old day - at least as far as regular in 2023 post Covid is concerned, though I'll admit it felt tinged with a slice of extra love - something the world at large could use right about now.
I remember how much I used to dread this holiday in my twenties until I had a few boyfriends and official Valentines. Then, in my early thirties I hated it all over again after some serious break-ups left me without a Valentine and the whole day seemed to serve as a reminder of my heartbreak. I wish I could go back in time and give that version of myself a hug, tell her it's not about the Valentine. That they will come and they will go, yet there is all different love all around just waiting to be caught if you look for it.
I have no specific romantic love this Valentine's Day, I will not go out to eat at a crowded restaurant of two-top only tables nor will someone cook me dinner. Any flowers I have I'll buy for myself. My parents sent me chocolate. A handful of dear friends sent some snail mail cards my way. I'll take myself to an after work yoga class, maybe I'll treat myself to some take-out sushi on the way home.
And really, right now, that feels like enough. Like a bounty even. Sure, I'd love the right official romantic Valentine in my life, of course I would. But as we know, love comes in many shapes and forms and sizes and I'm grateful - with each passing year more and more so - for however love seems to find me on this planet. More love, not less.
This year marks my puppy's very first Valentine's Day. I know dogs can't read calendars or tell time or get themselves to the local store to stock up on cards and chocolates, but do they even need to? Dogs are pure walking love on four legs each and every day. I know my sweet little Indy has increased my heart size multiple times over since he joined my life. And I can't help but hope I've increased his too. I tell him over and over - I don't know how I got lucky enough to get the best dog in the world, but I did.
Yes, I know all dog owners say this to their respective dogs. And I believe it can all be true. They can all be the best. Aren't we the luckiest?
So here's to 2023. My year of my forever furry Valentine.

2 comments:
Your Valentine looks like my Valentine's sibling - they are the best!
Glad to see you writing--I do enjoy reading it.
adorable picture (and cute sweater too!) and I also enjoy reading your posts (as you know)!
Post a Comment