1. What did you do in 2022 that you'd never done before?
Got my own puppy. Visited Charlotte, NC. Had Covid. Saw Arkansas and Oklahoma, checking off two more states on my goal to see all 50. Flew from NYC to Dallas and back in the same day for a one hour work meeting. Drove solo up and down the Big Sur. Took the cable car across to Roosevelt Island. Saw Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster in The Music Man. Volunteered at a Homeless Shelter. Spent a long weekend in Charleston, SC. Saw a lot of theater. Went to two new-to-me yoga retreats, different from my annual go-to yoga weekends. Saw Sara Barellies in concert. Explored Philly for a weekend as an adult!
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2022 goals were: take a pottery class, play the piano again, remember to fill up my own cup before others, take myself on adventures new and old, read only what I truly care about reading, keep going even when I’m scared, look at my phone less often, write my book.
I did not take that pottery class, though not for lack of trying. It sold out each and every time before I could sign up last year. I played a spontaneous sing-along on a piano for my yoga pals on our fall NH weekend retreat, doing my best to plunk along and sight-read old tunes. Maybe that wasn’t actually playing the piano again but it reminded me how much I miss it.
I worked REAL hard at filling up my own cup before others. REAL. HARD. Spreading myself too thin, not saying no, and doing something because I think I should/think I need to before deciding if I really want or need to are things I struggle with a lot. Every time I did say no, or actually put myself first, or did something just for me was a small victory I celebrated internally.
These stupid phones are going to be society’s downfall. While I certainly fell down the scrolling rabbit hole from time to time I did work to limit my phone time, willing myself to know it’s okay to ignore it now or then and every text does not need an immediate reply.
I did not write my book.
I did my best to read only what I cared about reading. Occasionally I listened to hype on some books which I often found unwarranted but I also stopped reading in 2022 more than ever before; letting myself give up the ghost of a book that I wasn’t enjoying with (less) guilt.
2022 was a strange and surreal and fast year. There were moments where I failed, perhaps wasn’t at my best. But there were also beautiful, awe-inspiring moments and times that I succeeded and made myself proud. I kept going when I was scared or anxious or worried or when people or things were in my way, blocking my direction or goals I set for myself. That is not nothing.
For 2023 - when I turned 43 this September my rhyme was "43...let's see." My brother said it sounded depressing, but I meant for it to be an acceptance. There is so much I can't control despite how much I might try, so I'm trying to lean into embracing the unknown and whatever might unfold. Sometimes the best joys in life are completely unexpected. "Let's see...what will be...in 2023!"
Tangible goals:
Take that pottery class - for real.
Write.
Travel to Southeast Asia.
Less phone time, more book/friend/outdoors/anything but screen time.
Rent a place somewhere for a part of summer '23 where I can escape the city heat, bring my dog, go swimming, and sit outdoors on a big ol' comfy porch or deck.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Emily welcomed her baby boy into the world in August of 2022.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. A goal to get some stamps back in my passport in 2023!
6. What would you like to have in 2023 that you lacked in 2022?
Clarity on living in NYC versus living in Boston. (Can’t I figure out a way to afford to be in both?!)
The right significant other relationship.
Less frustrations with work.
More stamps in my passport.
7. What dates from 2022 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
June 18, 2022 - the day I got my puppy.
Early July - when Covid caught up with me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my very own 10 week old puppy. The newest member to my own little family. Indy was the best thing to happen to me in 2022.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Thinking of the right things to do or say after the moment is passed. Blaming myself for things that are not my fault. Losing my patience at times. Rushing through things that don’t always need to be rushed. Not slowing down when I should. I have a hard time sitting still - sometimes this is a good thing (life is short and I want to see and experience it all!) But sometimes it drives me insane. (Just chill, Kelli!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got Covid right around the 4th of July, having evaded her clutches until that. It sucked even with my vaccinnes and boosters; just imagine if I hadn't been vexed. Extremely grateful I did not pass Covid along to either parent.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My dog, Indy.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
In 2022 I had 3 friends diagnosed with breast cancer, one friend with colon cancer. They are all in their early 40s. Not a single one of them has stopped fighting or working to get better. Their journey is not an easy one and I know there have been really hard days for each and every one of them. But when I look at them all I can see is bravery personified. I am proud to be in their company, to have such amazing friends. Fuck cancer.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The police’s (non) reaction during the horrific events on May 24th in Uvalde, Texas. “The sound of children screaming has been removed.” Disgraceful.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, Puppy related expenses, The general cost of breathing in NYC.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting my puppy.
Training my puppy. Is there a greater joy than seeing his little brain understand what I want him to do?
Seeing friends.
Travel.
Theater.
16. What song will always remind you of 2022?
This question is kind of dumb to me, especially since the years blur together lately. According to Spotify I listened to The Head and the Heart’s Virginia (Wind in the Night) a lot so let’s go with that.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a)happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier
b) fatter
c) poorer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Travel, taken more vacation days, spent more summer days by the water. Remembering that I am not responsible for another person’s choices or behavior.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about non important things. Less phone time and mindless scrolling.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I was in Georgia at my Mom’s house. Just me, Mom, and her dog Tully for the day and then a friend came over for Christmas dinner. Georgia was unseasonably cold over Christmas but I loved the chill. Brr.
21. Did you fall in love in 2022?
Yes, with Indy.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
God, what did I watch this year? It all blends together. Ozarks gave us a satisfying series finale.
A happy discovery was Abbott Elementary. I’m in season 1 of Succession and while its slow goings for me, I’m pretty fascinated.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.
24. What was the best book you read?
Hmm, probably Jami Attenberg’s I Came All This Way to Meet You.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Um, I listened to a lot of peaceful piano selections on Spotify? #old
26. What did you want and get?
My own dog.
Time with friends and family.
27. What did you want and not get?
Less frustration at work.
The right (romantic) relationship.
28. What was your favorite film of the year?
CODA
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent the day in NYC. I took the day off of work, went to a morning yoga class and then got a massage. It was warm out - a true last day of summer weather kind of day. I spent the afternoon in Central Park with Indy then made my way downtown to Shuka to meet friends for a delicious dinner. I felt really proud of myself and very grateful for having amassed enough friends in the city to meet a group out for my birthday. “Let’s see, 43!”
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
2022 was just so WEIRD. I want to say more big travel adventures but it wasn’t the year for that.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2022?
Um, a messy conglomeration of coming out of Covid but also never again embracing uncomfortable high heels or too tight clothing? Less sweatpants this year, more jeans and sweaters. (Also still trying to make sense of the non-skinny jean trend…)
32. What kept you sane?
Yoga. My friends. Indy. Walks outside. Travel. Writing. My family. Nature. The theater, any live performance I could attend.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Sara Bareilles. Did I say her last year too? Probably. I just dig her and appreciate how down to earth she seems.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The overturning of Roe v. Wade.
35. Who did you miss?
My Grandma. My friends who live too far away and are spread around the country. My nephew and his CA family. My parents when I went too long without seeing them.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Toss up between my Mom’s cousin, Connie who I got Indy from and a new NYC yoga pal, Caroline. Good eggs the both of them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2022.
Keep going, even when you’re scared. Let yourself be quiet enough to hear that little voice inside your heart. Listen. Trust it. It knows the way.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
It's just a little voice
And if you're listening
Sometimes a little voice
Can say the biggest things
3 comments:
What a thoughtful reflection on your year! I’d love to hear more about your yoga retreats— and possibly join you for one! Oh the phone struggles are real— I know that my phone robs me of presence— with Staley, with the trees in my backyard, with whatever it is I should be doing that’s more important/more enriching/more memorable/healthier both mentally and physically. I feel rejuvenated whenever I remember to put it down and look at Staley’s sweet face instead, or the trees, or literally anything else. These phones are convenient and useful, but manipulative. I think carrying your 2022 goal for less phone time into 2023 is a great idea. I’m going to try to focus on using my phone as a tool, rather than my phone using me and making me the tool! Haha.
Oops, didn’t mean to be incognito 🥸⬆️
Sarah - I LOVE the idea of the phone as a tool FOR you versus the other way around. And YES let's talk yoga retreats! Yes yes yes. I love them and feel like you would too.
Post a Comment