Wasn't I just listing the books I read in 2021 a few weeks ago? How can it possibly be time for another end of year book list already? Time may be a social construct but it has politely informed me that indeed another year is coming to a close in 24 hours time. And, so, I give you - my annual book list.
About 90% of my reads were by female authors this last year; not something I chose to do intentionally but clearly I found myself drawn to women writers even more than usual. 27 books in total this year, which I feel pretty okay about given that I had a lot of false starts with a lot of books this year. I read some good ones and I read some duds; though I will proudly admit that 2022 was probably my strongest year yet in regards to giving up on a book that just wasn't doing it for me. (Spoiler alert - there are a lot of crappy books out there.). I don't know why it's so hard for me to quit a book I am not enjoying but I'm getting better at it. Life is too short for lousy reads. But, oh for those rare gems that aren't bad or even just "meh". I'm here for the beautiful, brilliant, clutch to your chest you don't want it to ever end book. I hope I find more of those in 2023, the duds can stay behind in 2022.
Books I read in 2022:
The Guest List - Lucy Foley
Crying in H Mart - Michelle Zauner
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
Matrix - Lauren Groff
Greenwich Park - Katherine Faulkner
I Came All This Way to Meet You - Jami Attenberg
Five Tuesdays in Winter - Lily King
Vanderbilt: The Rise & Fall of an American Dynasty - Anderson Cooper
Between Two Kingdoms - Suleika Jaouad
Oh William! - Elizabeth Strout
My Salinger Year - Joanna Rakoff
This Time Tomorrow - Emma Straub
Severance - Ling Ma
Mercy Street - Jennifer Haigh
Joan Is Okay - Weike Wang
I’ll Show Myself Out - Jessi Klein
Summer Sisters - Judy Blume
A God in Ruins - Kate Atkinson
The Latecomer - Jean Hanff Korelitz
Tomorrow & Tomorrow & Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin
When Women Were Birds - Terry Tempest Williams
Blood Sugar - Sascha Rothchild
Still Life - Rebecca Pacheco
Our Souls At Night - Kent Haruf
Lucy By The Sea - Elizabeth Strout
The Measure - Nikki Erlick
27. The Education of Will: A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and her Dog - Patricia B. McConnell
Despite trying to be better about giving up on books I wasn't enjoying I still plowed through too many that I wished I'd skipped. Namely, Matrix (I was so bored) Summer Sisters (which I read in one day back in 2001 so decided to pick it up again on a summer weekend while headed to Martha's Vineyard. Ooof it is so bad. And yet I couldn't put it down?) Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow wins my raspberry award though. I know it was on just about every "best of" list out there but I really did not like it and was so glad when I finally finished the damn thing. 0 stars, would not recommend.
On a happier note, Severance blew my mind - particularly as it was written pre-pandemic and I enjoyed Joan Is Okay for similar reasons, though they are two very different books. Kate Atkinson's book Life After Life was a favorite of mine many years ago and this summer I finally got around to her "sequel" A God in Ruins - though both books stand just fine on their own - and was not disappointed. If anything, now I want to reread Life After Life.
I could read Lily King and Elizabeth Strout's (Maine writers represent!) grocery lists and be happy; their books won my heart this year. I adored Jami Attenberg's book, I Came All This Way to Meet You too and would be more than proud if I were ever able to write something that seamless and honest and real.
Here's to the good and bad and wonderful and terrible reads to come in 2023. Tell me your favorites; inspire my never ending to-read list!
*Also to the three people that actually read this, I know the formatting is funky but I'm too tired to try and fix it. 2022-when shit just gets real.*
3 comments:
Thank you for more ideas for my “to-read” list! Meg Mitchell Moore’s Vacationland would be perfect for a summer weekend porch read in Maine. And I just finished Lessons in Chemistry (Bonnie Garmus). I did NOT understand the hype at first but was so glad when I stuck with it. The story came together in a way I did not see coming and I love when that happens. Wishing you a wonderful 2023, friend!! :)
I have had Lessons in Chemistry on my "maybe to-read list" for ages! Appreciate the rec! And a very Happy 2023 to you too, my dear!
A lot on this I haven’t read yet… I look forward to giving some of these a try! I found that books by women really resonated with me as well this year. These were some of my faves:
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
Seek You: A Journey Through American Loneliness by Kristen Radtke
The People We Keep by Allison Larkin
Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand
Mary Jane by Jessica Anya Blau
Standard Deviation by Katherine Heiny
Post a Comment