Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 - Questions Galore

It's become a bit of a tradition, answering this set of questions annually as we wrap-up another year. While it feels like I just filled out this questionnaire about '08 it's shockingly time to have another go at it. I like doing this every year though, even if some of my answers haven't changed all that much since last year. It's nice to take some time to reflect on goals, lessons, and things I did or did not accomplish in the past year. So without further adieu, here we are:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?

Something I haven’t done in the last ten years at least – not move apartments!

Hit my third decade.

Made earrings.

Attended more Red Sox games than I ever have before in one season.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

My ’08 resolution was to stick with an exercise routine. It took me until December to finally join a gym. We are far from out of the woods yet, but at least for this month, I’ve stuck to my own mental promise of the gym at least two times a week.

There are a lot of things I’d like to accomplish in 2010, though I’m not sure these can all be classified as resolutions. Mainly I’d like to just continue to learn and grow as a person. I want to keep my gym routine going. I want to write more, to truly start working on this novel I know is buried inside me. I want to travel more, to visit a place that I’ve either never been to (Spain?) or one I haven’t been to in years (Ireland? France?). I want to stay organized in the office, to stay on top of deadlines.

On a grander scheme I want to make the most of my time here, in this life. I want to feel less rushed, to value the best moments we’re given. I want to learn to say yes only when I want to and know it’s okay to say no when I can’t. I want to stick to my guns about what I believe in, what I’m passionate about. I want to recognize when things are my fault and when they are not. I want to know when I should try harder, when I should walk away. I want to stop second-guessing past choices or mistakes and move forward secure in the knowledge that I’m truly doing the best I know how.

I also want to clean out my closet and do a major clutter purge.

And? I'd like to buy myself a new kitchen table without feeling "guilty" or thinking it's an unnecessary purchase.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes. One of my best friends, Kate had a healthy, beautiful, little girl in June. My friend Michelle had sweet little girl #2 just a few weeks ago. A dear friend Vanessa had a baby in November. One of my earliest high school crushes became a Dad in October (though I guess HE didn’t technically give birth) and my cousin had handsome boy #2 this summer. Another high school friend gave birth to a little boy as well.

That’s a lot of new faces, huh? It seems now-a-days every time I turn around another friend is bursting with soon to be a Mommy news.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Thankfully, no. I realize I am lucky to have been able to type that several years in a row.

5. What countries did you visit?

Outside of these grand United States? Sadly, none.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

More hours in the day.

A special, significant other…I don’t need to date just for the sake of dating, but I would like a person in my life who is easy to spend time with, fun to hang out with, and gets the butterflies a’ churning.

A greater sense of peace within my sometimes harried brain. Often, I’m my harshest critic and I think it’s important to remind myself that really, when all is said and done, I’ve carved out a nice little existence for myself. I’m doing okay.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory and why?

March 15th – the day my brother was deployed (though it ended up changing a bit in that last week, that’s the date that stuck in my head) & October 18th – the day my brother was 100%, officially HOME and back on USA soil.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Sticking to my guns about things I really believed in. I may not have gotten all the results I'd hoped in both my personal and professional life but when I felt passionate about something, when I believed in it with all my heart I went for it. I like being able to say - "at least I tried."

9. What was your biggest failure?

Neglecting my writing. Taking so long to join that gym.

Getting short with people when I don't really mean it - I'm just tired or hungry or grumpy.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Again, I’m lucky. No, I did not.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My long-lost, once abandoned at a NYC outdoor market, elephant necklace that “found me” again this fall up here in Boston.

For my 30th birthday, I treated myself to two pricey gifts. 1.) A digital SLR camera, which is a goal I’ve had for years. I haven’t exactly had time to fiddle with it as much as I’d like yet, but I saved up the money and made the purchase – that's step #1. 2.) I shelled out a lot more money than I normally justify for a new winter coat. It is beautiful though and worth every penny. That coat makes me smile every time I put it on.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My brother’s. His Marines.

A former co-worker cornered another co-worker and myself at our holiday party. He asked (after a few too many visits to the open bar, I might add) “Is Kelli still proud of her brother?” My co-worker, bless her, stared at him blankly for a minute and then replied “Why on Earth shouldn’t she be?”

My thoughts exactly.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

A few friends let me down in ways I didn’t expect or anticipate. This proved disappointing.

In the bigger arena? Hmm…Madoff and the other goons in the money schemes, corporate bailout after corporate bailout, and oh! I know! We have no money left in our company but we’ll all take private jets to go ask for a bailout! Great idea!

Also, how about we have famous men who actually don’t cheat on their wives, eh? Wouldn’t that be a novel idea?

14. Where did most of your money go?

Rent, car insurance, car tune-ups, taxes.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Turning 30.

Hearing from my brother while he was deployed and then, later my brother’s safe return home.

Getting another trip out to San Francisco even if it was for work.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

Say Hey – Michael Franti & Spearhead

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a.) happier? (though I really want to say about the same!)

b.) thinner? (though I also want to say about the same here!)

c.) richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Traveling, weekend get-aways, spending time with my family.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Second guessing my gut feelings.

Worrying about things that are out of my control.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I spent Christmas in Georgia at my Mom’s house with my Mum, my brother, and our super-fantastic wonder dog Bailey.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

No.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Mad Men. (For the 2nd year in a row! Don Draper! I can’t live with you, nor can I live without you!)

I’m also really getting into The Wire as of late.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

No.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Fleet Foxes

The Avett Brothers

Passion Pit

Blitzen Trapper

26. What did you want and get?

For my brother to make it home safe and sound from Afghanistan.

To NOT move out of my apartment after one year.

To keep growing, learning, discovering, moving forward.

27. What did you want and not get?

A trip to Paris.

A special someone, a significant other, a best friend and a boyfriend that are one and the same.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Gah. I am terrible at remembering what movies I watched over the last year. And to think I was a film major.

I was one of the few that saw The September Issue. It’s not for everyone, but seeing as I have been a faithful Vogue subscriber for years, am a tad obsessed regarding the mystique of Anna Wintour, and used to work in that industry I loved that documentary.

I count myself as one of the many who loved Slumdog Millionaire.

I also really enjoyed Away We Go, the massive crush I have on John Krasinski –with or without that beard – may have something to do with that.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

This year was the big 3-0 and I had a wonderful birthday all around. I came into work on that Monday morning to a desk covered with cards and presents from co-workers, two of my friends/co-workers treated me to lunch at our favorite spot near the office, I got a phone call from my brother in Afghanistan that afternoon (the best gift I got all day) and then I gathered with several of my closest friends to wine and dine at my favorite restaurant. It was a perfect day and I felt lucky to be entering my 3rd decade with such wonderful people in my life.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

To have a special significant other in my life – someone to share the amazing, exciting moments with just as easily as the mundane, let’s order in and watch a movie nights. The toughest part in this dating circus is finding someone you match with on so many levels – it can be a tall order. But I’m keeping the faith. He’s out there.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?

More of the same as last year now that I think about it. Skinny jeans tucked into boots, dresses, skirts, and tights, lots of fun inexpensive jewelry to jazz it up. Nautical stripes. Big bags.

And I feel in love with the open cardigan all over again.

32. What kept you sane?

My friends, my family, their reassurance. Retreating to the woods and escaping the city on days I felt the most harried. Books, music, concerts, yoga, writing.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Jacoby Ellsbury of awesome base-stealing Red Sox player fame.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Be you for or against his politics and policies, I think it was a pretty cool thing to witness the inauguration of our new president in January. And say what you will about what has or has not worked under his administration, it was refreshing to see a country so focused on an election and both sides feeling so passionate about the issues. For a brief time, people got involved and apathy took a back seat.

35. Who did you miss?

My brother, especially during his deployment to Afghanistan.

My ex-boyfriend, still. I imagine a part of me always will. It’s a tough thing to lose a boyfriend and a best friend in one fell swoop.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

In June, I met this lovely lady Sarah – a friend of other friends. My friends kept saying “You have to meet Sarah. You’re going to love her.” And do you know? Those friends were totally right, because I did and I do and it’s hard to believe I didn’t even know her at this time last year. Imagine that.

While I knew my co-worker Amy before the start of 2009, I have to say we grew immeasurably closer this year. I count myself lucky to now be able to call her a “friend in real life” as well as a co-worker.

I also grew much closer to my friend Brynn, another friend of a friend, another woman I can’t imagine not having in my life now.

I have to say, I am immeasurably lucky when it comes to good friends.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

I read these lines not too long ago on another blog I check from time to time. I’m paraphrasing, but she put into words a few lessons I’ve thought about a lot over the past year:

Get out of my own damn way.

Give something just enough thought to be useful, and then do what feels right and makes me happy in the moment..

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

This is a promise with a catch
Only if you're looking will it find you
‘Cause true love is searching too
But how can it recognize you
Unless you step out into the light?
But don’t give up until
True love finds you in the end.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I learned so much about you when I read the answers to these questions. Very interesting. You amaze me how you remain true to yourself year after year and although we all have our "jaded" moments, life still excites you. Your enthusiasm for whatever lies ahead is contagious. Go Girl...go get 2010!!

Lisa said...

I love this list that you do every year Kel. It's a beautiful way to reflect on a wonderful life!

Amy said...

I feel exactly the same way about you, my friend! We've talked about how making friends gets harder the older (and busier) we get, but once in a while you meet someone you just click with, and it's not so hard after all. :) Here's to more of the same in 2010!

Stephen said...

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts Ga-Ga! While 2009 maybe wasn't perfect, there is a noticable tone of optimism throughout your entire post. A New Year is so exciting- everyday holds so many new possibilities. Wishing you the very best in 2010!