Friday, November 18, 2011

No Pain, No Gain

I told you about a month ago that I'd quit the getting too expensive gym in my neighborhood. While my wallet and I don't regret that decision yet, I'm working hard at not falling completely off the work-out bandwagon. I bought a package of yoga classes through a recent GroupOn and I keep plugging away at the subsidized yoga class my work place offers, even though I miss my old gym yoga classes more than I realized I would.

My office also offers its employees access to a free gym on the first floor of our building. It's nothing fancy; there are only a handful of machines and a smattering of free standing weights. But, seeing as the price is right, I can't really complain. What I can seem to do, however, is find every excuse under the sun to avoid the place. Even when I know I always feel better after even the briefest of work-outs I have such trouble getting myself to go downstairs, change out of my work clothes, and climb aboard an elliptical machine. Most days, going to the dentist sounds like less of a chore than squeezing in a work-out!

Why? Because I simply find it b-o-r-i-n-g. All I can think, the entire time I'm huffing away, swinging my arms and legs, and trying to find a song that will distract me for even a minute or two, is how much I'd rather be doing something else. I watch the seconds tick off the screen, moving slower than I'd ever thought seconds could move, and I think of all the other things I could be doing instead of these sodding exercises. 30 minutes feels like 3 hours!

The thing of it is, I don't always feels this way about exercise. It's not like I'm opposed to any or all sort of physical activity. Yoga classes always pass rather quickly - unless I'm stuck in a pose that's especially challenging, and all the athletic things I did as a kid never once had me watching the clock. The few times I've been able to get myself back on a horse? Flies by faster than I can blink. So is it just the whole climb onto a machine and working-out for the sake of working-out that's driving me batty? I envy my friends who are true runners...those of them that look forward - hell, that GET UP EARLY, to squeeze in a run before the work day. I am not, nor will I imagine ever be, that person. And I'm okay with that. But I also need to do something to stay in shape. And that's the true irony isn't it? I don't like working out, because I think of things I'd rather be doing with that time. However, I hope to live a long and healthy life (so I have plenty of time to do the things I'd like to do) and so, one must exercise. And...here we are, back to the beginning again.

So help me out, won't you? What else can I do to pass the time? Have you got some great new tunes that I'd love so much I wouldn't stare longingly at the little timer on the treadmill screen? Is there some great trick you have to help the time pass during those tedious work-out moments? I'll try anything. Seriously, anything. After all, winter comfort food and the extra pounds it brings is not far off at all.

3 comments:

Emily R said...

Hey Kelli! I used to walk to and from the train station to work. That way I got 3 miles in and only have to factor it into my commute time (it was actually fairly comparable to the T). Sarah walked home to your neighborhood a few times...though I'd say that's a stretch. My suggestions are: 1) take advantage of the harborwalk at lunchtime, 2) listen to a podcast while you work out (or audio book), or 3) get off the T a few stops early and walk the rest of the way! I know it's easier said than done!

091057 said...

I always cover the timer on the treadmill and cross country machines with a towel. Time goes faster when one is not watching each second tick away.

Jill said...

I have the same issue with the gym, but I find that if I set little challenges for myself, it makes the time go by faster. For instance, can I increase my speed by x number of strides for two full minutes? Can I burn x number of calories before the clock hits 15 minutes? It's kind of fun! Good luck!