I was up in Vermont this past weekend, visiting some old friends from college, seeing their brand-spankin' new house, meeting their second child, and reuniting with their first one. It was a nice visit, albeit a quick one. In the past few years I've grown beyond appreciative of the friendships that allow you to pick up right where you last left off, no matter how much time has lapsed since your last reunion. So it was with these two friends of mine.
Vermont is nothing if not picturesque this time of year, and the drive north early on Saturday morning was particularly soothing even with its misting rain and foggy views. Despite all of my annual qualms about the heartbreaking transition out of the warmer summer months, even I will admit there is something calming about these late fall, almost winter days that I like very much. Mostly, I think I just appreciate the quiet.
There are moments - their urgency growing or waning
depending on my mood - when I am tempted to pack every thing up and head
to the mountains of Vermont, or the woods of Maine, or the farmlands of
my youth, never to return to city life. It is no secret that there is a country
girl within me, with a voice all her own.
And yet.
Many years ago, when I was probably 12 or so, my family and I were in Manhattan around the holidays. We'd spent the day strolling through mid-town, taking in the decorations, the window displays, the holiday sights. At some point we wandered into a Crate and Barrel - a store that was then not nearly as common as they can be now. Inside the store, I split up from my family, wandering among the kitchen appliances and holiday decor on my own. While eyeing a bin of ornaments, I noticed a woman shopping. She was older than me and looked so professionally pulled together with her long black coat and scarf bundled around her neck. Her hair was smoothed back, she was wearing a dress with tights, and as I watched her fill her shopping basket with ornaments I imagined she'd come directly from work - what was surely some glamorous, exciting job - and was positive that when she finished shopping she would head back to a cozy little apartment of her own, high up in the sky.
That's what I want, I'd thought to myself in that moment before that woman walked away and I headed back to my family. As sure of it as I was anything else in my world, I knew that some day that's the kind of life I want to live.
Of course, we all eventually grow up and we realize that life isn't always exactly as easy as the movies or novels might make it out to be - and that there are no guarantees. It's usually a long, long climb through some annoyingly tedious jobs, apartments are far more expensive (and smaller) than one would think shared with too many roommates, and there may or may not be a Prince Charming waiting for you back in that expensive and small apartment. With city living comes parking hassles and public transportation woes and rodents and drunken homeless men and at times too close for comfort neighbors and an overall sense of grittiness. It is noisy and crowded and expensive and can at times, for some tiresome living.
But it also provides an energy unlike anywhere else. There is a hustle, a bustle, a feet on the sidewalks kind of frenzied passion that I love. It often seems that anything can happen in cities. And this sense of wonderment, excitement, and a sort of game of chance is probably what has kept me living an urban life as long as it has.
Last night, after an extremely long day at work, I hauled myself over to the Crate and Barrel in Back Bay, determined to get a little bit of Christmas shopping done as I am woefully behind. I wandered among the three levels of the store, stopping here or there to peruse gifts and kitchen appliances. Ornaments were on sale so I stopped for a moment to pick through their bins, looking for a few potential stocking stuffers. At one point in my searching I happened to glance up, catching my reflection in a nearby hanging wall mirror. And suddenly there was that long-ago glimpsed woman from Crate and Barrel.
Except this time, that woman was me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love this so much. I grew up in a very tiny town (not so tiny anymore) with a lot of small-town/country Christmas traditions.
I live downtown in the largest city in my state and my office is located above a shopping mall.
The two are complete contradictions in how to spend a holiday, but I feel like, in many ways, I get to experience the best of both worlds.
xox
This post is so, so lovely. Thank you.
OH my gosh, I LOVE this post! I LOVE IT! I could just picture the NYC woman dressed just as you described. I notice that "look" in Boston with the men particularly. Hey, I'm not too old to LOOK! Dark coats and scarves and gloves as if they've come from work. Looking so polished and sharp.
You know I LOVE the country. But sometimes when I am there for a few days I miss being "close" to the Atlanta action although the "action" isn't part of my own life. I guess it's the pace. Feeling more involved or something. The best of both worlds...that's what we both need. Right? Maybe working in the city but living on the outskirts. Again, I LOVED reading this post. You express yourself so well.
Post a Comment