Well, well, another month came and went where I only managed to actually read (and by read I mean finish) one book. What is going on with my schedule lately? I suppose a more appropriate title for this post would be November Read, singular, but that's just depressing.
So, here's to carving out more reading time in the future...the end of December could be promising, as the holidays wind down...or there's always 2013, where more reading time - beyond my daily commute - clearly needs to be a priority.
Anyway, onward. Because one book read (and, ahem, a pile of magazines and another book very eagerly started) is better than nothing at all.
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
I'd had this book on my "to read" list for at least four years. Unsure what sort of mood I was in after finishing my last travel-based read in October, I figured I'd finally dive into Brook's highly recommended novel. You know how, sometimes, people really talk up a movie or a t.v. show? And you're so excited to see it, because you've heard so many wonderful, fabulous things about it? And then, when you finally sit down to watch it, you're left feeling a little...um, underwhelmed? And you kind of think to yourself. 'that's what all the fuss was about?'
Well, I hate to say it, but...that's kind of how I felt about People of the Book. I mean, the book had its moments, no doubt. In the beginning we meet an Australian (how appropriate, no?) book-expert who is tasked with restoring a recently recovered, famous religious manuscript. Through her work, the history of the book is traced across generations, wars, and cities. There are stories about each book's caretaker layered within Brook's tale, with our central present day (1997) Australian acting as the tie that connects each layer of history the book unravels.
Really interesting concept, right? Particularly once you learn it is based on a true story, especially for someone like me who holds printed books, first editions, and the like in high regard. And there were some stories/sections of the book's history that I really enjoyed. But others...eh, they kind of left me wishing I could just skip along to the next portion. And, sadly, I wasn't terribly in love with the sub-plot of our famed Australian character. Much as I wanted to love her, I found her a touch annoying at times.
Which, really, is sort of how I felt the whole time I was reading People of the Book. I wanted to love it, really I did. In the end, though, I found myself just kinda (insert shoulder shrug here) liking it. I suppose this makes the next book I've picked up (soon to be revealed when I do my December wrap-up...) even more amazing - because it's the kind of book I'm already totally in love with, and I've still got 500 pages more to read.
But we'll get to all that next month...
Monday, December 03, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You know how hard it is for me to find time to read. In the evening when I should read, my eyes are tired from the events of the day. But I was just thinking that in recent years in January I ALWAYS pick up a book that I've had on the shelf and enjoy a good read! I guess it's just the end of the hectic days surrounding Christmas and the New Year. But January is definitely MY reading month. Here's to the new year!
Post a Comment